Neal D. Fortin
J.D., Michigan State University College of Law, 2002
B.S., Kansas Newman University, 1979
B.S., University of Michigan, 1977
Phone: (517) 353-3416
Director, Institute for Food Laws and Regulations (IFLR) at Michigan State University.
Adjunct Professor of Law, Michigan State University College of Law (from 2004).
Adjunct Professor, University of Minnesota Public Health Institute.
Attorney concentrating in food and drug law, food safety, labeling, ingredient evaluation, advertising, and administrative law.
Research Attorney, Michigan Court of Appeals.
Manager, Food Service Sanitation Section, Michigan Department of Agriculture
Regional Supervisor, Food Division, Michigan Department of Agriculture.
Distinguished Faculty Award, Master in Food Safety Program, Michigan State University, 2009
Dietary Supplement Committee, Food and Drug Law Institute, 2009-2012
Board of Directors, Food and Agriculture Protection Training Consortium, 2010-2011
Advisor, International Food Protection Training Institute, 2010-2011
Curriculum advisor, University of Catalonia, master degree in food, society and international food governance, 2009
Commissioner, Michigan Local Public Health Accreditation Program, 1998 – 2002
Advisory Council, Michigan Community Health Leadership Institute, 2000 - 2002
NSF Council of Public Health Consultants, NSF International, 2000 - 2002
President, Great Lakes Conference on Food Protection, 1998-1999
President, North Central Association of Food and Drug Officials, 1997-98
Vice-President, North Central Association of Food and Drug Officials, 1996-97
Public Health Work Group of the Michigan Association of Counties, 1999-2002
United States food law and regulatory policy; food labeling and advertising; global food law, Codex Alimentarius.
FSC 421, Food Laws and Regulation
FSC 810, International Food Laws and Regulations
FSC 811, Food Regulation in the United States
FSC 817, Codex Alimentarius
LAW 553, Food and Drug Law
To advance understanding of Michigan, U.S., and international food law, and thereby promote the economic growth and regulatory viability of Michigan producers and processors. Providing technical assistance to Michigan food companies via the MSU product center and through instruction, including the following short courses.
- Food Labeling Workshop (2 days)
- U.S. Food Law Short Course (2 days)
- Your Day in Court (1 day)
- Food Regulation: Law, Science, Policy and Practice. (Wiley)
- HACCP and Other Regulatory Approaches to Prevention of Foodborne Diseases, Chapter 38 in Foodborne Infections and Intoxications, 4 ed. (2012).
- Improving U.S. Regulation of Imported Foods, chapter in Improving Import Food Safety (2012).
- Regulatory Requirements in the United States on Hygiene Control in the Design, Construction and REnovation of Food Processing Factories, chapter in Hygiene Control in the Design, Construction and Renovation of Food Processing Factories, Edited by: H. L. M. Lelieveld and John Holah (Woodhead Publishing Ltd. 2011).
- The United States FDA Food Safety Modernization Act: The Key New Requirements, 6 European Food and Feed Law Review 260-268 (2011).
- Food Regulation in the United States, chapter 14 in Right to Food and Food Safety (Du Gangjian, ed., Sun Juanjuan translator, Shantou University Publisher, 2011) (杜钢建(主编)：食品权和食品安全法，汕头大学出版社，2011年7月).
- Navigating the U.S. Food Additive Regulatory Program, Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, Vol. 10, 342-368 (secondary author, 2011)
- United States Food Law: Consumers, Controversies, Current Issues, 1 European Consumer Law Journal 15-42 [Revue Européenne de Droit de la Consommation] (Stéphanie Mahieu, ed., 2009).
- The History of Food Safety Regulation in the United States and Canada, chapter in Ensuring Global Food Safety: Exploring Global Harmonization (Boisrobert et al., ed., Academic Press / Elsevier, 2009).
- The Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act: The Requirements Enacted, Challenges Presented, and Strategies Fathomed, chapter 3 in Consumer Protection: Disputes and Resolution 31-52 (K. Padmaja, ed., 2009).
- Codex Alimentarius Commission, chapter in Handbook of Transnational Economic Organizations (Christian Tietje and Alan Brouder, eds., Martinus Nijhoff, 2009).
- Food Safety Regulations Applicable to Imported Foods, chapter 2 in Imported Foods: Microbiological Issues and Challenges 45-68 (Mike P. Doyle and Marilyn C. Erickson, eds., 2008).
- The Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act: The Requirements Enacted, Challenges Presented, and Strategies Fathomed, 10 Journal of Medicine and Law 126 (Spring 2006).
- Is a Picture Worth More Than 1,000 Words? The Fourth Amendment and FDA’s Authority to Take Photographs under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, 1 Journal of Food Law & Policy 239-268 (Fall 2005).
- The Hang-Up with HACCP: The Resistance to Translating Science into Food Safety Law, 58 Food and Drug Law Journal 565-594 (2003).
- Secured Transactions (UCC Article 9), Law in a Flash, Aspen Publishers (2d ed. 2011).